Thursday, September 17, 2009

Powdered Laundry Detergent


Sometime back, I wanted to make my own laundry detergent. Between eczema and psoriasis in my home, I wanted something gentler on the skin and really can not afford to buy the more expensive brands. I set out to find the ingredients I needed, but was coming up short. The stores in my area do not carry Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda. I called my local Kroger and they ordered it for me.


The recipe is as follows:
2 cups finely grated bar soap (I used Fels Naptha)
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
Mix ingredients and use 2 tablespoons per load.





Now, I put all of my ingredients into the blender after I mixed them so I could get a finer powder. I washed a load with only 2 tablespoons and my clothes did not smell fresh. I could still smell auto parts store on my husband's uniform. I put them back in the wash and used 3 tablespoons instead. I suspect it was because of the hard water we have here.
I am going to try liquid detergent next, but it takes a large bucket and I don't really have the room for it in my utility room.
I don't know the breakdown of the cost per load, but I have seen that it is significantly cheaper.


5 comments:

  1. Look at you lady!! From your own butter to homemade laundry soap!! You could survive should we be "left behind!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you know it. You have to keep watching for more tips. I think some of these things would be excellent things to teach your troop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please go to my blog. I've given you an award :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, just found your blog via a follower of mine. Love it! I make powdered laundry deterget and love it. Um you can use Ph Plus found in the swimming pool section. It is the same exact thing as washing soda and try adding a cup of baking soda per batch for the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip FeliciaE. Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete