Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I need a snappy title for mopping, but can't think of one.

I own a Swiffer Wet Jet. I bought it a few months ago and have to say that the cleaner that came with the mop lasted a good long time, however, I don't want to continue to buy the refills. The fragrance is a little strong for me, anyway. So, I set out to refill the bottle myself.

If you try to unscrew the top from the refill bottle it doesn't want to open. Sneaky little trick from the Swiffer company to make you buy more refills. I boil some water then put it in a large cup. I put the refill bottle in the water, cap down, and let it sit for a bit. I then use pliers to open the cap. I refill it with my homemade disinfectant cleaner (minus the soap), but a 50/50 vinegar water mix would work well too. I was thinking of using a Murphy's oil solution in it next time I need to refill.

Another thing I do to save money with my Swiffer, is to make my own mopping pads. I bought microfiber cloths from my local Dollar Tree, folded them into thirds and sewed around the edges and down the center. It doesn't have to be pretty, just sturdy. Mine are long enough to fold around to the scrubber edge of the mop head. It works just as well and they are machine washable. I made myself two of them. I can use one side and flip it over to the other side to get more use from one cloth before I have to wash it.

I love my Wet Jet. The mop and bucket are a thing of the past in my house. I just can't justify paying the money and adding to the landfills to keep the mop useful.

4 comments:

  1. I also love my Wet Jet.

    I also have a Swiffer Carpet Flick which I also love..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Wet Jet as well...but I buy the refills, smells good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They smell good, but send my asthma into a tizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is a older post but I ran across you. I have the Steam mom by shark. We tried the wet jet and had so many issues with my kids that all have allergies, so when we switched it made a wonderful change. I must admit my floors are so clean you can feel it and see it.

    ReplyDelete